As 2017 ends, it is time to take stock of some new literary discoveries. So here goes the list of 10 authors discovering whose works gave me immense satisfaction:
1. Michel Houllevecq
Reading this author has been a cathartic experience. Where Kundera-meets-Harold Robbins. He gives one the courage to express the truth, to write!
- The Elementary Particles;
- The Possibility of an Island
2. Robert Seethaler
Simplicity is the hallmark of this scintillating author. Evocative, emotional and effervescent, Seethaler is definitely on my ‘most wanted’ list!
- A Whole Life
3. Katherine Boo
No wonder Barack Obama was taken in by http://Ms.Boo ‘s “Behind the beautiful forevers”. With brilliance for grist & honesty for her writing, this is one author about whom we will be hearing a great deal – fortunately!
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers
4. Michael Foley
He makes us think; he makes us prioritize; he makes us introspect; he almost drives is into an existential crisis. Acquisition of material possessions will no longer be a raging priority thanks to Mr.Foley!
- Isn’t This Fun
- The Age of Absurdity
- Embracing The Ordinary
- Life Lessons From Bergson
5. Kamila Shamsie
Powerful; Passionate; and Provocative, Kamila Shamsie’s writing is like a refreshing breath of pure and ingenious air. Free flowing but never frivolous, this is one author headed for greater glory!
- Home Fire
- A God in Every Stone
6. James Barrat
Reading James Barrat gave me the goosebumps. Also reminded me of a ‘Huxleyian’ state of affairs towards which we are careening headlong sans care or caution. He is the torchbearer against the perils of an untrammeled advance into Artificial Intelligence.
- The Last Invention
7. Joe Studwell
Studwell’s “How Asia Works” is an indispensable read for every student, professional and practitioner of politics and Economics! A real eye opener to put it mildly!
- How Asia Works
- Asian Godfathers
8. Yanis Varoufakis
The works of the former Finance Minister of Greece reveals the dangerous crossroad at which the world of capitalism finds itself in!
- Talking to my daughter about the economy
- Adults in the Room: My Battle with Europe’s Deepest Establishment
- And the Weak Suffer What They Must?
- The Global Minotaur: America, The True Origin of the financial Crisis and the Future of the Global Economy
9. Matt Taibbi
A rip roarer of an author, Taibbi is a superstar of our times. Caring two hoots about conventions and caution, he gives the low down as it exactly ought to be given!
- I Can’t Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street
- Insane Clown President: Dispatches from the 2016 Circus
- Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America
- The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap
- The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics & Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire
10. Rana Forohaar
Indomitable, Intense and Invigorating, Ms.Foroohar literally is the dreaded nemesis of all those crony capitalists who sacrifice prudence at the altar of greed!
- Makers and Takers: How Wall Street Destroyed Main Street